Tuesday, May 13, 2014

FBA Alert

When a door slams in your face, open the damn window.

FBA Alert

Grocery, Health & Beauty, and Personal Care are now RESTRICTED categories! This just rolled out, but has only been posted on the category section of seller central. You have to apply for approval to sell in these categories.

I just applied in grocery. I'm praying for approval since this has become a main category for me. I have a sale pending and all of my groceries are listed as active. I'm not sure how Amazon handles category changes (first experience), but I will keep you updated.

UPDATE:  I applied for groceries last night and I was approved. Note - You have to be a pro merchant to sell in any of these categories. I've been selling in groceries for a few months now. I don't have any products in Health & Beauty or Personal Care, but I'm going to go ahead and apply this evening. I will update you when I have news.

UPDATE # 2: I was approved for Personal Care, but I received a phone call about Health & Beauty. The rep told me that if you've been selling in any of these categories you are grandfathered in. Well, I hadn't sold anything in H & B, so I was asked to submit three invoices.

I flat out asked him about submitting receipts, but he told me that they must be invoices with your company's name and address, and the name and address of the buying source (in other words -wholesaler or manufacturer). We talked about retail arbitrage. He said it's okay if we source at stores, but in order to be approved that they have to have actual invoices, and suggested buying a small amount for approval purposes. I explained that I haven't had the opportunity to look into wholesale yet (waiting for the summer), but it was on my to do list, and a plan for growing my business.

The Amazon rep was very nice, well spoken, and knowledgeable. He told me that I could reapply when I'm ready, and that as long as I produce the invoices I should be okay. He explained that they are trying to cut down on counterfeit products.

There is an idea going around that if you order online you'll receive an invoice, but technically that's a receipt, so it remains to be seen if it will be accepted.

Please comment on your experience with the newly gated categories.

READ THE REQUIREMENTS AND APPLY FOR APPROVAL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I'd love to hear what you have to share about FBA, but please keep your spam out of it. Thanks for reading and commenting!