Sunday, April 20, 2014

The First FBA Box

Extraordinary living requires the willingness to take risks.

Fill up a box. Just one box. Send it in and see what happens.

This is all I really wanted to do. Just fill up a box, send it in, and see what happens.

The first sale occurred within 24 hours of the first box arriving in the fulfillment center. I was hooked.

Starting simple helps. You need to get the hang of this business -everything from opening an account to packing a box to dealing with insurance and taxes. When I first started, I searched for fairly small, light weight products in complete packaging (nothing I needed to polybag or shrinkwrap) in open categories. I filled up one 12 x 12 x 12 box with 15 items. Simple. Small. Start.

If you're going to send in just a few small items, then I suggest that you go into your settings and turn on inventory placement. You will be charged 0.30 cents per item, but you will be allowed to place them in one box and send them to one fulfillment center.

Save your 0.30 cents in a jar! Amazon will charge you in about a month and a half, and believe me, it adds up fast. One of payouts was obliterated by inventory placement charges. That's okay. I knew it was coming. Starting out focusing on one box at a time helped me to get a workflow down, figure out how to list items, and keep it simple in the beginning. By the time the first inventory placement charges happened, I was ready to take a leap of faith. I turned off this service and now I'm filling up several boxes a week and sending them to at least three different fulfillment centers. Keep in mind that using inventory placement can slow down sales. You're products might still be moved by Amazon to other fulfillment centers. They are going to place your products where they want them.

If you are at the beginning of your journey, please read through Amazon's FBA Handbook and Seller Central. Take notes! Familiarize yourself with the open and gated categories. Learn the rules.

But whatever you do, please don't let the vastness of information intimidate you. Fill up a box. Just one box. Send it in and see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. This is where I am ...signed up..watched every youtube video I could find, joined some facebook pages devoted to Amazon sellers and purchased 30 items (after buying the profit bandit app for my smart phone)I'm still going over my listings two or three times before I actually hit print for the labels and send it in but hopefully by mid week I'll feel comfortable enough to take that leap!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I'd love to hear what you have to share about FBA, but please keep your spam out of it. Thanks for reading and commenting!